Thursday, September 4, 2014

Homemade Cream of Zucchini Soup Recipe



I have had this recipe for quite some time now and have had many requests for it.  This is one of my go to favorites for fall when you are looking to use some of the vegetables from your garden.

 

This Picture is courtesy of my sister-in-law.  She made the soup today and I forgot to take a picture the last time I made it and the soup I have made is in my freezer.  I will update the picture next time I make the soup.  Thanks for sharing!!

HOMEMADE CREAM OF ZUCCHINI SOUP
 
Start with 2 Large Zucchini
First cut and de-seed zucchini (if they are large, if they are small you do not need to de-seed)  No NEED TO PEEL. Place in pot and fill with water to cover all the zucchini.  Boil until the zucchini is soft and mushy, you don't want a tough skin. Once your zucchini is cooked, puree in blender with the water used to cook the zucchini.
 
So 4 Cups Zucchini PUREED-set aside

1/2-3/4 cube of real butter
6 cubes of Chicken bullion cubes
1/2 cup flour or cornstartch
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder (I sometimes add a little more depending on the taste at the end)
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp season salt (I use Lawry's)
1/2 tsp Oregano
1/2 tsp Basil
2 Cups milk
2 Carrots Shredded

 
Once you have cooked and pureed your zucchini then set it aside.  In your now empty pot add the butter, bullion cubes, flour, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, season salt, oregano, and basil to make your paste.  Heat on medium low to not burn the butter.  Melt the butter and make your starter paste, stirring constantly.  Slowly whisk your zucchini puree into your paste a little at a time to start to thin it out.  If you don't do it a little at a time that is when you end up with clumps in your soup so make sure to whisk and add only a little at a time.  Once your paste is thinned out a little and just covering the bottom of the pan, then add the rest of your zucchini puree and shredded carrots.  Cook on medium heat until you get it almost to a boil.  Don't let it boil to prevent scorching.  Add 2 cups milk.  Turn to low and simmer for 20 min or so.  

Sometimes I will add a little more than 2 cups milk depending on how creamy I want it and how thick the soup looks.  I usually like my soup a little thicker rather than thin like water.  You can add less milk or add water to get your desired thickness.  Also If I have any left over whipping cream or heavy whipping cream in my fridge I will usually use that in place of the regular milk and add a little water, but regular milk works just fine.  OPTIONAL: Add cheese or crispy bacon if you want. 

VARIATION:  You can add any kind of squash to the zucchini or replace the zucchini with squash and use the same recipe and have a different delicious result. (I love to add acorn squash)
 
I hope it makes sense and I didn't over explain it!!!!  Good luck.  It is really yummy!!  

Let me know if you have any questions.
 
Leave me a blog post comment and tell me what you think or if there are any recipes you would like to see.


**This post is not sponsored.  I did not receive any product or compensation for this post.  This is my own recipe and my thoughts and opinions are 100% my own.**

3 comments:

  1. As a kid I never liked squash and zucchini, but I bet I would like it today if I tried it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohhh I want to save this recipe for all that summer zucchini - I love zucchini and I know others, too, wanting something new and different - this sounds soo good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a delicious soup! I'll be giving it a go this zucchini season! Thanks for the recipe! We are always looking for new ways to incorporate veggies!

    ReplyDelete